Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Kyleigh's Quilt


For her birthday last month, I gave Kyleigh all of the squares I'd stitched for her quilt and asked her to arrange them.   There were 38 squares altogether and 35 of them made it onto the quilt.  The ones that didn't were stitched at the beginning of the process and I'll find other uses for them.


This was a major process.  First, she arranged them according to how long ago the memory was, then decided she wanted Follow Your Heart to be the middle square and her two favorites--the violin and the cheerleader, also her most recent memories--to be in the middle row, too.  

Where should I put this one?
Is this the right shape?

I understand there was also a point where she lay down on the squares to make sure it was the right size, but Janice didn't get a picture of that.

The next step will be to trim the squares and pick out the fabric for the sashing and borders when I'm done self isolating so there's still a way to go, but at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel now.  I've been told we'll be using silver, teal and blue.






























6 comments:

Katie said...

How fun. I bet she will love it!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Great idea to get her to plan the layout. Now don't muddle them up! At least you have the photos to refer to.

Julie said...

I bet she had a wonderful time looking at them all and sorting them out.

Faith... said...

It is not easy trying to arrange the squares just right! I am sure she is anxious for you to be off isolation so it can be sewn up and ready for her!

Astrids dragon said...

That's quite a job to figure out where to place them, but that will make it more special that she chose where to place them. I'm so excited to see this come together.

Rachel said...

Kyleigh's choice of colours sounds lovely. You must be really looking forward to seeing your pieces all finished up in her quilt. I do wonder, though, how many more times their order will be rearranged?! :)