Monday, February 10, 2020

Fully Finished Gallery - February

The Fully Finished Gallery SAL was created by Rachel at Ten Hour Stitcher to encourage us to fully finish our projects instead of just storing them in a drawer or box never to be seen again.  Click on the link to see more details and what other stitchers have posted.

My first fully finished ornament this month is St. Nicholas.  I've backed it with red felt and added a hanger of leftover green and gold beads.  The hanger is short since I ran out of leftover beads.  As I mentioned before, I know his hat is crooked, but I don't think it will matter once it's hanging on the tree.

My second fully finished ornament is Moose Joy from the 2019 JCS Ornament Issue.  I'd originally planned to make a pillow ornament using the same fabric for the backing, but when I was trimming the square to size, I didn't realize that I was counting from the wrong point and was left with only one square on the left side of the tree.   So, I cut the other sides down to one square, backed it with a white 3x5 card and then with red felt.  I added some cord from my stash as a hanger.

I also finished two ornaments from 2016. These were simple finishes as I glued them to felt that matched the color of their icing, trimmed around them with pinking shears and added complimentary ribbon.

I also have a question about finishing.  For those of you who finish your stitching with fabric, how do you do it?  Do you use a sewing machine or backstitch/running stitch around both the square and the backing?  Or some other way?  Thanks in advance, as I'd like to do this with some of my finishes.


11 comments:

butterfly said...

well done on your cute SALs

Rachel said...

Thank you for your entries into this month's FFG SAL. I like the finish for the gingerbread men - so simple, yet so effective. But, boy, you must have had a heart-in-mouth moment when you were cutting around Moose Joy! Thank goodness you were able to save it.
As for the finishing of ornies with fabric, I always hand stitch mine inside out, pinning the backing fabric to the aida and using the holes in the aida as a guide. I then turn it the right way to stuff and stitch up. Good luck with your first attempt! :)

Suzanne H said...

It's not easy to cut with pinking shears around those Gingerbread. Nicely done. Good save on your Moose ornament. No one would have known. I use a sewing machine to stitch my pillow ornaments.

Katie said...

Beautiful finishes. I love the gingerbread men. Too cute! I use a sewing machine if I'm using normal fabric on the back and in hand if I'm using stitching on the back. Rachel's idea would work to it in hand that way though.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely finishing this month. I really like the zigzag edges to the Gingerbread People.

I backstitch a border round my stitching, fold it around a piece of batting and tack the inside folds in place. Then I cut a piece of paper the same size as the border, tack the backing fabric round that. Then I whip stitch the two together. When I have done three sides, I remove the paper and stuff the Ornie with more batting. Then I whip stitch the fourth side closed.

Julie said...

I use a variety of finishing methods on the ornaments.
Lots of finishing tutorials on Vonna's blog, have you visited there?
St Nick is gorgeous.

Kaisievic said...

I usually sew the border/backing on with my sewing machine or else glue to felt and use pinking shears. Great work that you have done here.

Tiffstitch said...

These are great! And I've used my sewing machine a couple times, but am no expert. Vonna tutorials are amazing if you can learn from videos.

Astrids dragon said...

All sweet finishes, nice save on Moose Joy! It depends on how big the piece is if I use a sewing machine, it does make it faster though.

Mary's Thread said...

What cute ornaments!I love your Mill Hill Santa, he is one of my favorites, and those gingerbread people are darling!

Unknown said...

Do this hack to drop 2lb of fat in 8 hours

More than 160 000 women and men are using a easy and SECRET "water hack" to burn 1-2 lbs every night as they sleep.

It's scientific and works all the time.

This is how to do it yourself:

1) Go get a clear glass and fill it half full

2) And now follow this amazing hack

and become 1-2 lbs lighter as soon as tomorrow!